The tournament's primary beneficiary is Cook Children's Medical Center, which uses contributions from the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial to pay for uncompensated care. No child is turned away from Cook Children's regardless of their ability to pay. Over the past decade, the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial has generated over $5.2 million for Cook Children's Medical Center. One initiative that helps us do that is the annual Cook Children's Charity Golf Classic, held about two weeks prior to each year's Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial. This exclusive, fun event allows foursomes to get a sneak peek at the course in tournament condition. Call the Tournament Office if you would like to participate in this event, with a direct donation to Cook Children's.
Cook Children’s Health Care System is a not-for-profit, nationally recognized pediatric health care organization comprised of seven entities – a Medical Center, Physician Network, Home Health company, Northeast Hospital, Pediatric Surgery Center, Health Plan and Health Foundation. Based in Fort Worth, Texas, the integrated system has more than 60 primary and specialty care offices throughout North Texas. Its service region includes Denton, Hood, Johnson, Parker, Tarrant and Wise counties, with an additional referral area encompassing nearly half the state.
• Cook Children’s records more than one million patient encounters each year through its medical center, specialty clinics, neighborhood clinics, physician offices, outpatient settings and home care.
• Cook Children's was the only free-standing health care network in the country to make the 2010 Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks (IHN), which ranks the most highly integrated health care networks in the United States. Ranked No. 74, it was the second consecutive year for Cook Children's to be ranked in the top 100.
• Cook Children’s Health Care System is leading the monumental task of identifying children’s health priorities within its six-county region (Denton, Hood, Johnson, Parker, Tarrant and Wise counties). The effort, known as Community-wide Children’s Health Assessment and Planning Survey (CCHAPS), is the first known project of its kind in the country to extensively focus entirely on identifying children’s health needs to implement solutions. The information gained from CCHAPS will be a significant community resource, which helps frame public policy, supports expansion of children’s health services and steers fundraising efforts on behalf of children.
• The 553,000-square-foot expansion of Cook Children’s Medical Center will add 40 percent to the current campus footprint and is the largest expansion effort in its nearly 100-year history. The expansion will add much needed space in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, strengthen family amenities and add a five-story medical office building that will house all 18 outpatient specialties.
• For the second consecutive year Cook Children’s has been ranked among the America’s Best Children’s Hospitals by U.S.News & World Report. The 2009 edition of the report ranked Cook Children’s in four specialty categories; Diabetes and Endocrine Disorders, Respiratory Disorders, Neurology and Neurosurgery and Hematology and Oncology.
• Cook Children’s nursing services rank in the top 5 percent of the nation’s hospitals for nursing excellence. The American Nurses Credentialing Center honored Cook Children’s with Magnet designation, a coveted award of excellence in nursing care.
• Cook Children’s is supported by one of the country’s largest pediatric transport programs with more than 2,000 transports to the medical center annually.
• Cook Children’s Emergency Department is an Emergency Medical Services-designated pediatric trauma center in Tarrant County, and treated more than 87,000 patients in 2010.
• With one of the largest, most technologically advanced pediatric neurosciences programs in the Southwestern United States, Cook Children’s is redefining the future for children with neurological conditions. Cook Children’s houses the first dual-room intraoperative MRI (using the IMRIS system) in the world. This innovative suite increases the accuracy in complex neurosurgical procedures, such as brain tumors and epilepsy cases.
Cook Children's traces its roots back to 1918, but throughout its continual change and robust growth, it still embraces an inspiring promise – to improve the health of every child in its region through the prevention and treatment of illness, disease and injury. To live up to this promise, Cook Children’s combines the art of caring with the use of leading technology and extraordinary collaboration to provide exceptional care for every child, every day. For more information, please visit www.cookchildrens.org
Mission Statement & Values
The Cook Children’s Health Care System is an integrated delivery organization dedicated to providing quality health care and to improving the well-being of children.
Cook Children's Medical Center resulted from the merger in 1985 of the former Cook Children's Hospital and Fort Worth Children's Hospital. Community leaders had dreamed of this combination since the 1950s and the new facility opened in 1989 as a realization of their goal.
The former Fort Worth Children's Hospital began with the organization of the Fort Worth Free Baby Hospital on March 21, 1918, under the leadership of Mrs. Ida L. Turner, a former postmistress. The hospital was first located at 2400 Winton Terrace West, near the present campus of Texas Christian University. All of the building materials and furnishings for the hospital were donated, and in 1922, a second floor was added to the building. In 1961, under the leadership of Mrs. Nenetta Burton Carter and the Woman's Board of the Fort Worth Children's Hospital, a new facility was completed at 1400 Cooper Street, adjacent to the Harris Methodist Hospital. This facility continued to operate independently until the merger in 1985.
Fort Worth Children's Hospital doubled its size in the 1920s.The roots of the former Cook Children's Hospital go back to January 29, 1929, when W. I. Cook Memorial Hospital opened at 1212 West Lancaster Street in Fort Worth. The original hospital, designed in Italian Renaissance architecture, had 55 beds. Mrs. Missouri Matilda Nail Cook dedicated the oil royalties from the Cook Ranch near Albany, Texas, to build and sustain the hospital's mission. When the polio epidemic was spreading in the United States in 1952, the board of trustees of W. I. Cook Memorial Hospital studied the special needs of children, voted to expand the facility to 72 beds with a special grant from the Tom B. Owens Trust, and changed its mission to care exclusively for the needs of children. Thus, the trustees renamed the facility Cook Children's Hospital, which continued to operate independently until the merger.
In 1980, under the leadership of Mr. I. Jon Brumley, the two children's hospitals in Fort Worth formed the Children's Hospitals Coordinating Board and began negotiations to merge their facilities. The original eight members of the Coordinating Board were M. Ward Bailey, Robert M. Bass, I. Jon Brumley, Charlie L. Hillard, J. Walton Lawrence, Jr., D.D.S., Joe K. Pace, John M. Stevenson, and Edward E. Stocker.
Cook Children's Hospital, circa 1950s
In April 1982, Mr. Russell K. Tolman was hired by the Children's Hospitals Coordinating Board to administer the hospitals jointly and plan for their ultimate combination. In September 1982, the medical staffs of the two hospitals, under the leadership of Hinton H. Hamilton, III, M.D., requested permission from the boards to combine into a single staff. At the same combined board meeting, the trustees discussed the need to proceed with the combination of the two hospitals. This was enthusiastically approved. After architectural and financial feasibility studies were completed in 1983, trustee Robert M. Bass served as Chairman of the Merger Committee and hired the law firm of Kelly, Hart & Hallman to bring the matter before the 141st State District Court, presided over by Judge James Wright. After several days of testimony regarding the benefits of a new pediatric hospital, Judge Wright approved the "Plan of Merger and Combination" in January 1985. On April 29, 1985, Robert M. Bass was elected the founding Chairman, with John M. Stevenson, Vice Chairman, R. Denny Alexander, Treasurer, and M. Ward Bailey, Secretary. The new 183-bed Cook Fort Worth Children's Medical Center was begun in 1987 and completed in May 1989. The Board of Trustees approved shortening the name to Cook Children's Medical Center in June 1995.
The early 1990's were a period of rapid change in the health care industry. HMO's and managed care were driving down the cost of health care insurance by contracting with hospitals and physicians. To improve the health status of our community's children and to prepare for the era of managed care, the board of trustees formed the Cook Children's Health Care System in December 1995. The system consists of the Cook Children's Medical Center, Cook Children's Physician Network of over 200 pediatricians and specialists, Cook Children's Home Health, and Cook Children's Health Plan.